Baxterstorey have an exciting new opportunity! They are recruiting for a new Apprentice chef to work and learn alongside Head chef in the Modern Restaurant/Canteen of the Weetabix Factory site located in Kettering Northamptonshire.
Number of Positions Available
From delis and coffee bars to restaurant and fine dining; we provide a range of traditional catering services. Combined with our forward thinking attitude, we are building the foodservice of the future.
Detailed Job Description
Baxterstorey is the largest independent contract catering company in the UK, they have many prestigious contracts and are constantly growing.
Baxterstorey have a great opportunity for new Apprentice Commis Chefs to embark on a training programme working in the kitchens of one of England's most iconic cereal manufacturers - Weetabix!
The Apprentice Chef will learn all aspects of the day to day running of the kitchen operations as well as learning how to prepare, cook and finish delicious food. Alongside this, the successful applicant will be working towards gaining a Level 2 Commis Chef Qualification.
Reporting to: Executive Head Chef
Overall Objectives: To assist in the kitchen operation and ensure the company’s reputation for food quality is maintained at all times whilst studying for Level 2 Commis Chef Standard qualification.
• To assist in the preparation and cooking of menu items as directed by their line manager.
• To assist in the development and planning of menus, including future food trends and be passionate about developing new styles of service and concepts in the location.
• To assist with stock taking when required.
• To carry out the smooth and efficient running as appropriate.
• To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
• To be customer focused at all times; approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
• To be a team player, assisting other team members when necessary.
• To treat members of the team at location as you would expect to be treated.
• To gain an understanding of food costing, sales mix and menu planning.
• To ensure stock, deliveries and wastage are all checked and recorded in line with company and food standards.
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment:
• To adhere to the company’s Food Hygiene, Health and Safety and Environmental policies.
• To ensure that food storage areas are maintained in accordance with the company’s Food Hygiene, Healthy and Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
• To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of your line manager and attending training courses as identified.
• To show commitment to company values in all aspects of your role.
• To act as a positive ambassador for the business.
• To attend to any reasonable request made by the client or management.
• To attend training sessions when required.
• To complete all course work as directed by your assessor.
Must have good standard of spoken and written English with good communication skills.
An interest and love of fresh food and cooking and:
• Like interacting with others
• Can demonstrate a commitment to ongoing development and learning
• Are ambitious and keen to get on the career ladder
• Must be reliable, hardworking and conscientious
Team worker, good communicator, keen to learn, motivational, inspired by fresh food.
• You are passionate about good food
• You like interacting with others
• You are friendly and sociable
• You are enthusiastic and have the desire to get stuck in.
None required, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process
Opportunity to progress further as a career Chef if operationally possible at the site or with Baxterstorey once the programme has been successfully completed.
Training to be Provided
Commis Chef Level 2 Standard Apprenticeship
Maths and English if required
37.5 Hours Monday- friday 07.00-15.00hrs
Things to consider
Working in a kitchen is very fast-paced at time and requires long periods of standing and Physical activity.