Main Purpose of Job:
The Catering Manager (CM) is responsible for the smooth day to day running of the café, from the safe preparation of quality food and home baking to maintaining high standards of presentation, excellent customer service, accurate till reconciliation and sound staff supervision.
- The CM will be passionate about providing a quality food and beverage offer that enhances the overall visitor experience of the museum. They will be responsible for the ongoing development of an exciting and innovative menu blended between homemade production and quality products and ingredients sourced wherever possible from local Northumbrian and North East suppliers.
- The CM will take the lead on all food preparation, cooking, and baking for the café. They will be responsible for working up accurate production costs and appropriate retail profit margins for all stocked items made in-house or bought in.
- In liaison with the Venue Hire Manager, the CM will assist with the provision of good quality food and refreshments to corporate and private hire clients as and when required, ensuring they receive first rate, efficient and professional service.
Stock Management and Financial Controls:
- The CM will be responsible for the ordering and management of catering stock in accordance with operational requirements and set budgets, enabling sound stock control and rotation, as well as correct use of the EPOS stock system. This will include checking off any goods delivered, processing invoices, and maintaining order record spreadsheets and EPOS data entry.
- The CM will be responsible for updating the café income and expenditure spreadsheet, reporting monthly on performance.
- The CM will ensure correct financial procedures are followed at all times, including EPOS till operation, end of day cashing up, and float reconciliation.
- The CM will be responsible for ensuring high quality customer service and public presentation standards are maintained at all times, providing an attractive and inviting offer and a friendly and efficient service to all our customers.
- The CM will be responsible for maintaining procedures and safe systems of working that comply with health and safety and food safety legislation (including PPDS allergen labelling requirements), ensuring the completion of all appropriate records required. They will also be responsible for ensuring all staff in the café are appropriately trained to follow and comply with these procedures and systems.
- The CM will ensure general cleaning of the kitchen area, equipment and café front of house is carried out daily in accordance to cleaning schedules, with particular responsibility for food preparation areas, equipment and store rooms.
- The CM will be responsible for the management of the café staff team including recruitment, induction and training, ensuring the team are motivated to provide high standards of customer service, health, safety and hygiene at all times.
- The CM will manage the catering staff rota – ensuring it is kept in line with the staffing budget. They will assist the Venue Hire Manager with the provision of staffing for functions, weddings and other events as and when required.
- To undertake, from time to time, any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post.
- To take reasonable care for your own health and safety at work, and for any others in the workplace who may be affected by your actions or omissions.
Pay and Conditions:
Salary: £23,023.00 Pro-rata (based on 37 hours per week)
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week (primarily Tuesday to Saturday) 9.00am – 4.30pm
Holiday Entitlement: 23 days a year pro rata + Bank Holiday allowance
Duration of Contract: Permanent
For a complete job description and person specification please refer to our website: https://museumsnorthumberland.org.uk/about-us/jobs-opportunities/