An Electrical Engineer, or Electromechanical Engineer, is an important professional in the power, transport, telecommunication and industrial sectors. Their duties include researching, designing and maintaining electrical power systems and products used in diverse industries.
Electrical Engineer duties and responsibilities
Electrical Engineers design and develop industrial, domestic and commercial electrical systems. Their duties largely depend on their employer and could include the civil service, engineering firms, telecommunications, consultancies, the military, utility companies or the IT industry. The main duties of Electrical Engineers include:
- Designing, implementing, maintaining and improving electrical products and systems.
- Using engineering software and equipment for computer-aided design and other complex technical tasks including AutoCAD
- Establishing and enforcing construction, manufacturing and installation standards.
- Performing feasibility studies for industrial, domestic and commercial technical developments.
- Overseeing maintenance, inspection and system upgrade programmes.
- Calculating project costs and delivery timelines.
- Providing quality assurance for ongoing projects
- Collaborating with clients and other professionals.
- Writing reports, giving presentations and meeting with clients and management