A trainee role working alongside qualified chefs assisting in all aspects of food preparation and production.
Number of Positions Available
We are creators of brilliant restaurant experiences and wonderful events. Our collection of venues includes restaurants, bars, cafés, and event spaces across the UK. You can find us in iconic surroundings such as The Gherkin, Bath Pump Rooms, Blenheim Palace and St Pancras International Station.
Detailed Job Description
• Learn different procedures of food preparation
• Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of chefs
• Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
• Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
• Help chefs in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
• Set up food stations by following chef’s orders
• Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
• Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
• Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
• Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organized at all times
• Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
• Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
• Assist chef in developing menus and provide suggestions for alternates such as sauces and levels of spice for each entrée
• Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
• Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
• Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
• Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions.
Some experience gained within a commercial kitchen environment.
Good time keeping.
Ability to listen to and follow instruction.
Ability to work efficiently in a team.
Must be able to work at Pace and under pressure.
Passion for food and quality.
Willingness to learn.
Excellent communication skills.
Helpful with a positive attitude.
Flexible and adaptable.
None required but Maths and English will be assessed as part of the application process for this Level 2 qualification.
Development from Apprentice to Chef to full time Commis Chef in one of our prodigious venues.
Training to be Provided
Commis Chef L2 apprenticeship including Functional Skills Maths (Level 1), Functional Skills English(Level 1)
45 hours per week incl Evening and Weekends.
Things to consider
The kitchen is a hot and busy environment where you are on your feet for the shift. Whilst it can be a tough environment, it is a rewarding career with plenty of scope to develop within Searcys.