An opportunity to join Sodexo's team at a School in Caterham, working on breakfast, lunch and supper services.
Number of Positions Available
Sodexo serves many sectors, including private corporations, government agencies, schools from preschool through university (including seminaries and trade schools), hospitals and clinics, assisted-living facilities, military bases, and prisons.
Detailed Job Description
We are looking for an apprentice to join our team at a busy school in Caterham - using fresh food and passion, to deliver a fantastic service to the pupils, staff, visitors and parents.
Our new apprentice will become part of the new Sodexo Culinary Academy - where they will gain a level 2 qualification and undertake specialist culinary training.
You will complete a masterclass with industry professionals around:
• Bread and dough
• Vegetable Protein
You'll also get a chance to visit suppliers to see where your ingredients come from and learn about sourcing and sustainability.
Finally you'll have 121 on coaching and support from your own dedicated chef trainer who will guide and assist you through your course - to eventually achieve your Commis Chef Standard Apprenticeship.
Not only will you recieve great training - but you'll earn a great wage and have room for progression with hard work - with opportunities to move onto roles such as Chef De Partie, Senior Production Chef or a management position within the business.
Main duties will include but not be limited to:
• Being involved in preparation for sports teas, fine dining, and other school events
• Prepping and preparing ingredients for service
• Working in a clean and tidy manner
• Understanding various cooking methods and procedures
• Cleaning down work stations
• Be able to work in team and work to timelines.
• Enjoy working with food and coming up with new ideas.
• Basic knife skills and knowledge of a kitchen environment.
• Basic understanding of food safety and health and safety.
• Be able to adapt to changing client requirements and requests at short notice
• A patience to learn
• Gets on well in a team environment
• Able to work under own initiative
• Well presented as the individual will be customer facing -with pupils, teachers and non-academic staff who are also our customers
None needed however any training/qualifications on the following would be beneficial:
Basic food hygiene, any food preparation or basic chef knowledge, Food safety, health and hygiene knowledge. Knife skills
Opportunity to start working in a prestigious catering company within Independent schools, great progression within the sector and the wider Sodexo business including corporate, healthcare, energy and resource, leisure and many more
As we are an education establishment we will do reference checks with previous employers or Colleges and a Disclosure and Barring check (DBS) will be required for working with young people.
For those jobs that are not year round there will be the opportunity to work elsewhere in the business (such as other schools or for our sports and leisure division) during school holidays and this will be paid as extra – however for this you would need to be able to travel to these sites.
Training to be Provided
Commis Chef Standard L2
Maths and English Functional Skills if needed
37.5 - 40hrs Shifts 5/7 Days Mon- Sun
Things to consider
This position is hard work, it can be pressured at times and there is a high expectation around quality and presentation. Our apprentice will have to learn the basics before getting onto major cooking so we have a understanding of their knowledge