We are currently recruiting for a Commis Chef to join the kitchen team at The Railway, Honiton, to assist in creating wonderful dishes inspired by local and seasonal products. We are looking for passionate staff member who has a love of food.
Number of Positions Available
Head Chef Paul, an AA rosette winner, brings an exciting and authentic array of good British food with a bit of classic French influence. With a strong focus on fresh fish from Exmouth and game from local butchers, The Railway makes the most of Devon's produce in a varied and seasonal menu.
Our bar showcases fantastic wines, local gins and of course, some South West ales. Whether it's dinner you're after, or a drink with a bite to eat, The Railway is the next place to be.
Detailed Job Description
At The Railway, Head Chef Paul, an AA rosette winner, brings an exciting and authentic array of good British food with a bit of classic French influence. With a strong focus on fresh fish from Exmouth and game from local butchers, The Railway makes the most of Devon's produce in a varied and seasonal menu.
We are currently recruiting for a Trainee Commis Chef to join the kitchen team at The Railway - Honiton, the successful candidate will assist in creating wonderful dishes inspired by local and seasonal products. We are looking for passionate staff who have a love for food. Alongside learning the trade the successful applicant will be working towards gaining their Level 2 Commis Chef qualification.
The ideal candidate will work well in a close-knit team and be a pro-active individual that is willing to learn and develop their current skills, as well as being dedicated to preparing a high standard of food.
The job role includes:
• Learning to prepare and cook a vast array of ingredients, assisting in all sections of the kitchen as directed by the Head Chef
• Maintaining high levels of service
• Assisting and monitoring stock, including stock rotation,
• Ensuring minimum kitchen wastage
• Keeping all working areas clean and tidy and ensure no cross contamination
• Learning skills and recipes from other members of the department and applying them in accordance to your Commis Chef qualification
• Complying with all company policies and procedures and all statutory regulations and food hygiene policies.
• Ensure that food storage areas are maintained in accordance with the company’s Food Hygiene, Healthy and Environmental policies and procedures
• Any other reasonable duties required by the Head Chef or General Manager
• Self-motivated and proactive
• Strong organisational skills
• Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
• Great attention to detail
• Ability to work in a high pressure, fast paced environment
• Great communication skills
• Willingness to follow instruction
• Willing to complete the relevant training and culinary qualifications
A passion for working with high quality ingredients
Some previous experience would be an advantage but not essential
GCSE Grade C or equivalent in Maths and English is an advantage, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Continuation of employment
You will be required to work weekends and evenings
Training to be Provided
Commis Chef apprenticeship Level 2
Maths and English if required
40 hours per week
Things to consider
Are you able to commute to and from work?
5 days per week to include weekends and evenings.