Baxterstorey are currently looking for a Commis Chef Apprentice hungry for development, who has a real passion for food and customer focus. The successful candidate will work closely with their Head Chefs and be mentored by their Regional Development Chef.
Number of Positions Available
We want to be the best independent food service provider with a leading-edge reputation for food, service and team development. We achieve this through nurturing and training highly motivated people. We value their contribution to ensure we consistently exceed expectations. Although passionate about serving our customers. Focusing on the importance of high standards they are constantly motivated to ensure our customers receive the ultimate dining experience.
Detailed Job Description
Baxterstorey is the largest independent contract catering company in the UK, they have many prestigious contracts though the South West and are constantly growing. Baxterstorey has several high-profile chef’s working within its brands including John Campbell and Monica Galetti. Within the company they have a Chef Academy running several courses which any budding chef would what to be included on. The Chef Academy is based from the Woodspeen John Campbells restaurant and chefs on the courses get personal coaching from John himself!
The successful candidate will work closely with the Head Chefs and be mentored by the Regional Development Chef, they will have the opportunity to spend time at different Baxterstorey locations getting full exposure and the opportunity to learn from some of the best chefs in the sector.
Alongside this, the successful applicant will work towards gaining a Level 2 Commis Chef Qualification.
Detailed Vacancy Description / Job Role
Job Title: Commis Chef
Reporting to: Head Chef / Sous Chef.
• To assist the Head Chef / Sous Chef in the kitchen operation and ensure the company’s reputation for food quality is maintained at all times.
• To assist in the preparation and cooking of menu items as directed by the Head / Sous Chef.
• To assist in the development and planning of menus, including future food trends and be passionate about developing new styles of service and concepts in the location.
• To assist with stock taking when required.
• To carry out the smooth and efficient running of your section as appropriate.
• To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
• To be customer focused at all times; approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
• To be a team player, assisting other team members when necessary.
• To treat members of the team at location as you would expect to be treated.
• To gain an understanding of food costing, sales mix and menu planning.
• To ensure stock, deliveries and wastage are all checked and recorded in line with company and food standards.
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment:
• To adhere to the company’s Food Hygiene, Health and Safety and Environmental policies.
• To ensure that food storage areas are maintained in accordance with the company’s Food Hygiene, Healthy and Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
• To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of the Sous Head Chef and attending training courses
• A good grasp of the English language and excellent communication skills
• Self-aware and a basic understanding of health and safety to help keep them and others safe
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ability to take instructions
• Passion for food and a keenness to learn more
• Can do attitude with a positive personality.
• Well-motivated and willing to go the extra mile
• We are looking for the right person, with the right attitude, we can build the catering skills, we really want someone who dreams of becoming a chef and has the motivation to give it what it takes.
None required, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Baxterstorey is the largest independent contract catering company in the UK, we have many prestigious contracts though the South West and constantly growing. Baxterstorey has several high-profile chef’s working within its brands including John Campbell and Monica galetti just to name two. Within the company we have a Chef Academy which run several courses which any budding chef would what to be included on. The Chef Academy is based from the Woodspeen John Campbells restaurant and chefs on the course’s get personal coaching from John himself!
The successful apprentice has the prospects of developing though Baxterstorey family and becoming a Head Chef or Chef Manager of their own unit. As a company we are also working towards having every employee of the Foundation living wage.
Being able to drive/good on public transport as this role is based in the Bristol area, spending time at different Baxterstorey locations. To help cover every they need to learn to become a chef.
Training to be Provided
Commis Chef apprenticeship Level 2
Maths and English if required
37.5 hours a week
Things to consider
Being able to drive/good on public transport as this role is based in the Bristol area, spending time at different Baxterstorey locations. To help cover everywhere they need to learn to become a chef.
Monday – Friday 7am – 3pm (30 min unpaid break) 37.5 hrs