A fantastic opportunity for a budding chef to join the kitchen team at The Grantley Arms pub in Guildford.
Number of Positions Available
The Grantley Arms is part of Pearmain Pubs, a small group 7 independently owned 'smart pubs' located in Surrey and Middlesex. Each of our pubs has been carefully chosen and sympathetically restored, with quality interiors and beautiful gardens, casual enough to be comfortable, smart enough to feel special.
Detailed Job Description
• To learn all menu items and learn to follow specifications - recipes, methods of production, portion control and presentation, ensuring of the highest standards.
• To work towards gaining standards training at level 2 & 3 Commis chef and CDP with hittraining.
• To learn from more senior colleagues, following instruction and supervision at all times
• To complete daily tasks assigned by the Duty Chef and willingly assist/support the team.
• To achieve Level 2 Food Safety and Health and Safety within 3 months
• Maintain high standards of personal hygiene and cleanliness both on and off duty
• To work in a safe and hygienic manner, participating in kitchen cleaning to ensure the professional appearance of all kitchen areas, cleaning and tidying as you go
• Prioritise safety and wellbeing of self and colleagues and kitchen visitors
• To learn about stock control and follow company procedures (to include tidying storage areas, labelling, rotation of goods, reporting low/damaged stock)
• To follow all legislative requirements with regards to health and safety and food hygiene ie, stock rotation, labelling and temperature records.
• To learn the correct use of cooking ranges, ovens, pressure steaming ovens, grills, hot plates, deep fryers etc.
• To learn the use of manually and mechanically operated catering equipment, including knives, whisks, piping bags, electric mixers etc.
• Actively seek new learning experiences, eg working in different sections and work your way up to be able to manage different elements of working in the kitchen
• Keep up to date with new menus, products and promotions in the business as well as in local competition and food trends
• To be involved in and contribute to team meetings
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
An understanding of the importance of Health and Safety and Hygiene and ability to achieve Level 2 Food Hygiene & Level 2 Health & Safety within 3 months
Ideally have some experience in a professional kitchen as kitchen porter or junior chef
Literate & numerate with IT key skills
Ability to read, comprehend and communicate to others in English and implement written training and compliance information
A passion for food and a love of cooking
An interest in the hospitality industry
Friendly and respectful to others
Reliable, flexible and adaptable
Enjoy working in a team with a good teamwork ethic
A desire to learn and ambitious for a career as a chef
Have the flexibility to be able to work days / evenings on each day of the week including bank holidays (Minimum of 30 hours contract)
Legally allowed to work in the UK
Live locally (with ability to travel to work easily)
To be able to work well under pressure
Ability to take instruction
Good team player
None required, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Full-time position and promotion to CDP and even on to become head chef of a new premises
Wage is dependant on age and experience.
Training to be Provided
Level 2 Commis Chef
Maths and English if required
30 Hours a week
Things to consider
There is a local bus service, however own transport would help you get to the premises