Commis Chef Apprentice - Novotel Birmingham Centre
As a commis chef you will engage in cooking, baking, pastry making or butchering duties. This position involves food preparation and presentation with flair for breakfast, lunch and dinner for A la Carte, room service, functions and buffet service.
- Liaise with Restaurant employees regarding the availability of menu items, additions to the menu and any relevant changes.
- Work with and co-ordinate the work of apprentices in the preparation and production of food as required.
- Prepare and ensures availability of mis en place as required.
- Keep all working areas clean and tidy.
- Ensure all equipment is maintained, serviced and cleaned. Report any problems to the Head Chef.
- Assist and liaise with chef on duty as required.
- Ensure all kitchens are kept clean and tidy according to current Health & Hygiene regulations.
- To count, sort and prepare operating equipment as required.
- Ensure correct handling of chemicals and equipment as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ensure all operating equipment, crockery, cutlery & glassware is hygienically cleaned and safely stored.
- Follow the regular cleaning rosters and standard methods for deep cleaning of floors, walls, coolers, oven’s & operating equipment.
- To contribute to cost control through energy conservation and the careful use of water, cleaning materials and other appliances
- Ensure garbage is collected and disposed of correctly from all kitchen areas each shift.
- Utilise safe and hygienic methods for the removal of dry and wet waste.
- Any other reasonable request as required by your Supervisor or Hotel Management.
- Helps receive deliveries and tidies food items according to storage guidelines.
- Cleans and tidies the workplace and employee’s dining room following the supervisor's instructions.
- Loading bay duties – tiding, cleaning and receiving deliveries.
- Provide efficient, friendly and professional service to all guests.
- Lead by example when attending to guest requests. Show efficiency in constantly striving to provide
- Total Customer Satisfaction.
- Take initiative to ensure that interactions with our customers (internal or external) are positive and
- productive, call the Manager on Duty if difficulties arise.
- Work together with trust so that colleagues and management meet the goals of the department/Hotel.
- Treat customers and colleagues from all cultural groups with respect, sensitivity and transparency.
- Take every opportunity to be a “salesperson” by active selling of special promotions and facilities
- available within the Hotel.
- Implement the Accor values and Accor customer vision to ‘Offer the Best Service to Our Customers’.
- Take responsibility to ensure all required tasks are completed accurately and within given time frames.
- Participate in scheduled training and development programs provided by the Hotel to improve self and department standards and attend departmental meetings as required.
- Abide by Accor policy on EEO and Harassment in the workplace.
- Ensure wherever possible that employees are provided with a work place free of discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Follow property procedures with respect to grooming, performance and conduct standards, occupational health and safety, emergency procedures and all other property policies and procedures as detailed in the employee handbook / department procedure manuals / company policy manuals.
- Ensure Hotel, Customer and Staff information or transactions are kept confidential during or after employment with the company.
- Any other reasonable request within your range of competence as required by your Supervisor or Hotel Management.
Your responsibilities are included but not limited to this job description as this has been drafted as a guide to the purpose and main duties of the role as it currently exists. The hotel relies on the flexibility of its staff to ensure the continuity of the high standards currently being achieved. It is not intended as a wholly comprehensive or permanent schedule of duties and it does not form part of the contract of employment.
The Company reserves the right to amend this job description from time to time to accommodate the requirements of the business and the evolving nature of the role.