Deputy Activity Manager - YHA Edale
Deputy Activity Manager – YHA Edale Activity Centre
Situated on the slopes of Kinder Scout in the Peak District National Park, YHA Edale Activity Centre delivers adventurous activities to approx. 5000 participants each year. We are a Residential Centre that prides itself in its inclusivity and work with a broad range of client groups from nationwide.
A permanent vacancy has arisen for a Deputy Activity Manager. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has considerable experience of delivering outdoor activities to both young people and adults, in a residential setting. Some administrative & management experience of people and resources is also essential.
Our hostel offers an entirely distinctive workplace, far from the ordinary office setting. At YHA Edale, we believe in valuing our team members and ensuring they have access to great perks:
- Competitive salary: We offer a salary of £26,675 - £29,596 per annum - this will be reviewed from 1st March 2024 in line with National Living Wage increases (This is a permanent role 42.5 hours per week).
- Accommodation options: If needed, live-in accommodation is available at a reasonable rate of £60.90 per week.
- Exclusive benefits: Enjoy access to YHA's staff discount and cashback portal, allowing you to save on your everyday purchases.
- Free YHA Membership: Receive a complimentary YHA Membership each year.
- Travel and adventure: Discover new places with 10 free hostel stays per year for you and up to 3 friends or family members.
There's a multitude of advantages to being part of the YHA team. To explore more about the benefits we offer, visit our YHA Jobs website today. Join us for a unique work experience and discover the YHA difference for yourself.
The Role: Deputy Activity Manager
As Deputy Activity Manager you will assist and deputise for the Activity Manager in all aspects of the effective management of the Activity Centre operation, adhering to safety and quality standards required by YHA and external bodies. To act as Activity Manager for provision at other sites.
You’ll contribute both locally and nationally, to the wider strategy, vision, values and mission of YHA in reaching out to young people.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring continuing best practice.
- Achieving the highest standards of both safety and quality.
- Assisting in the control of labour, equipment, transport, and all other aspects of the activity programme delivery.
- Maintaining the roadworthiness of minibus transportation and trailers i.e., arranging serving, MOT’s and ensuring and verifying driver competence and maintaining internal driving standards.
- Supporting the induction and training of all instructors in delivering activities at YHA Edale and other hostels.
- Leading in organising the trainee/volunteer instructor programme and act as a Technical Advisor (as stipulated by AALS) in at least one main activity area.
- Leading in conducting recorded supervision of all Activity Staff.
- Devising activity programmes & deliver high quality, example setting activity sessions.
- Assisting the Activity Manager in establishing and maintaining the highest standards of activity provision in order to inform internal training and development as well as wider activity provision by external partners.
- Maintaining practices and procedures stipulated by external bodies such as AALS and LOtC, assisting/advising YHA in this on a wider basis.
- Supporting the Activity Manager in all activity for customers, including communications, pre-visits, programming and liaison with visiting group leaders.
What Skills and Experience We Value
The Deputy Activity Manager must hold 3 of the following 4 qualifications and be able to drive a minibus and tow a trailer: Rock Climbing Instructor, Paddle sport Leader or equivalent, Level 1 Local Cave Leader (Derbyshire region), Mountain Leader or Hill & Moorland Leader
It is also desirable that they hold a higher-level Paddle sport and/or Caving qualification to enable them to induct and train other permanent and seasonal staff. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
Ready to Join Us?
If this opportunity resonates with you, we invite you to submit your CV and complete our brief application form. Feel free to attach a cover letter to further express your unique qualifications and experiences. If you require any assistance, our YHA Jobs website's contact page is available to support you.
To explore the YHA charity, our unique culture, rich heritage, and more, please visit our jobs website. Our primary strategic priority is to make YHA accessible for all, an essential part of our charitable mission. We actively seek to build diverse teams and extend a warm welcome to applicants from all backgrounds. To find out more about this you can visit the EDI section of our website.
Learn More About Us
To gain a deeper understanding of what it's like to be a part of YHA, visit the 'Working for YHA' pages on our YHA Jobs website.
Join YHA, and let's embark on this incredible journey together. Your unique perspective and experiences are valuable assets to our inclusive community.
PLEASE NOTE All relevant checks are in place to ensure safeguarding and legal requirements of safer recruitment are adhered to. This role will require an enhanced DBS check.
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
YHA Job Title – Deputy Activity Manager
Keywords: Activity Centre Manager