Education Team Leader
Education Team Leader
Field Studies Council Margam Discovery Centre, Port Talbot, South Wales
Circa £29,798 per annum + excellent benefits! *
37.5 hours per week / Permanent contract
Love where you work!
Established in 1943, our network of Learning Locations provides day and residential outdoor education courses for all ages. We aim to create outstanding opportunities for everyone to learn about nature.
We value each of our team members and understand that every role is vital to deliver our mission, so, we provide great benefits* to reward and support you while you work with us.
What you’ll be doing
As our Education Team Leader, it will be your responsibility to lead our education team to develop, plan and deliver curriculum-linked activities that will increase students understanding of nature and the environment.
You will be accountable for the day-to-day management of the education team, providing support and advice through induction, training, teaching observation and personal reviews.
Our team teaches a variety of courses in diverse outdoor teaching locations, to primary and secondary schools, colleges, and universities on science and geography education trips. This is an active role and will also include some hands-on teaching in the field.
As this role is part of the Senior Management Team at our learning centre, your previous management experience will aid you in assisting the centre manager to ensure our centre runs smoothly and is reaching its full potential. You will also be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of our learning location in the absence of our Centre Manager.
Please review the vacancy pack for further details on the full responsibilities of the role.
Where you’ll be based
Field Studies Council Margam Discovery Centre is easily accessible, just off the M4 between Swansea and Cardiff. The centre is situated in the beautiful surroundings of Margam Park, an 850-acre country estate nestling on the narrow coastal plain and southern slopes of Mynydd Margam.
The centre is a state of the art, low carbon footprint building designed by The Welsh School of Architects that can accommodate up to 140 residents and has 5 classrooms.
We are fortunate that our location gives us access to a wide variety of field sites, and a range of ecosystems from freshwater ponds and streams to mixed woodland and grassland.
Who we’re looking for
You will have a degree or equivalent in an appropriate academic discipline with a specialism in Geography or Biology and already have gained some relevant work experience. It is important that you have experience of managing a team. In addition you will have:
- A great work ethic where aptitude and attitude are key
- A natural pride in the work you produce
- A flexible and adaptive approach able to perform using your own initiative both independently and as a team player
- A professional manner in all that you do
- An empathy with the aims and objectives of Field Studies Council
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
Does this sound like the new opportunity you have been looking for?
* Your benefits whilst working with us will include:
- Financial - We offer competitive salaries, sick pay, pension schemes, life assurance, 28 days annual holiday entitlement plus bank holidays and a further 2 extra loyalty days dependent on length of service.
- Health and Wellbeing - Eligible employees are automatically provided with a Health Cash Plan which you can use to help pay for routine health appointments as well as give you the ability to seek second opinions from top doctors! We also provide our team members with access to a 24hr Counselling Helpline Service.
- Discounts – When you join the team you are also enrolled into our reward programme which gives you discounts on your favourite brands and opportunities to earn cash back on everyday purchases!
- Additional benefits - We endeavour to offer flexible working options where roles permit and are committed to providing our employees with appropriate quality learning and development opportunities.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy, please call Siân Lane on 01639 895636
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 3 November 2023.
We look forward to your application and welcoming you to the team!
We reserve the right to close the vacancy early if we’re in receipt of sufficient applications. Please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at Field Studies Council Margam Discovery Centre in the week commencing 6 November 2023
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by telephone and/or email.