Hours: 37 hours per week, worked over a seven-day rota and including weekend and evening shifts
Showroom Workstation is Sheffield’s only media arts complex operating a popular independent café/bar, conference and events facility, four-screen cinema, and creative industries managed workspace.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Sous Chef to join our team. The successful person will work within our small, creative, and fast-paced team and will be required to run the kitchen in the absence of the Head Chef. The role involves the production of high-quality menu items for the bar and café, working with team members on menu creation and the delivery of high-volume items for our busy conference and events facilities.
Purpose of the Post
- To work within the kitchen team in producing and maintaining a high quality and consistent standard of food for all clients and to deputise in the absence of the Head Chef
- To protect the business, guests and staff at all times, in terms of quality of product, health and safety and due diligence.
- To protect and maximise GPs through tight controls.
- To achieve food hygiene scores of 5*.
- To assume overall responsibility for the kitchen operation in the absence of the Head Chef including setting rotas, ordering stock, cost control etc.
- Responsible for the overall running of the kitchen and service of food.
- To maintain the high standards of presentation, quality and speed of service, ensuring deadlines are met.
- To uphold hygiene and cleaning standards in all areas within the statutory requirements.
- Observe, advise and enforce all statutory regulations including Health and Safety, Security, Hygiene, Finance and Licensing Laws.
- To assist the Head Chef in maintaining control of food costs and profit margins agreed to the departmental procedures.
- To assist with menu development and planning.
- Drive, motivate and direct the kitchen team to ensure a high standard of quality, service and customer care.
- Be visible during food service and communicate effectively with staff and customers to ensure a high standard of quality and food.
- Manage customer facing food displays.
- Give clear guidance and regular briefings to all kitchen staff in relation to food service and quality.
- Work closely with the Head Chef in planning and executing all catering services and food related promotional activities.
- To assist with the development and management of functions and external catering events.
- Be proactive in identifying and recommending opportunities to enhance customer satisfaction and contribute to the testing of new ideas.
- To assist with the receipt of goods ensuring quality and quantity checks are carried out and delivery sheets are completed to the agreed standard.
- To assist with the development and monitoring of waste management systems.
- Assist with risk assessments in line with Food Hygiene regulations including assistance with completing all HACCP files to the agreed standard and reporting any issues that may arise.
- To possess strong decision-making skills, with the ability to quickly assess situations and to use sound judgement to ensure the business functions to a high standard.
- Proven organisation skills.
- Proven staff management and communication skills.
- Experience of managing a busy food operation where speed and flexibility of service are key, working with fresh ingredients.
- Experience of preparation and delivery of largescale functions, weddings and outside catering events. Buffet serviced events and corporate catering.
- Awareness of industry trends to provide future development of the business.
- Capable of working under pressure, working flexible and unsociable hours when required and to be a key team member.
- Personal presentation to be clean and respectable.
- Impeccable time keeping.
- Due diligence and honesty with regard to security, money and stock.
- Experience of waste and stock control systems.
- Experience of computerised stock and ordering systems.
- Proficient in general use of Microsoft Word and Excel software packages, internet use and Outlook email.
- General financial aptitude to enable operating within budget, forecasting, budget setting, etc.
- Willingness to undergo further training and to advance personal skills.
- Qualifications 706 1, 706 2 or SVQ/NVQ Level 2/3.
- CIEH level 2/3/4.
- A current First Aid Qualification.
- Experience of menu creation for venues of a similar nature.
- Experience of producing menus for hospitality and events
We are proud to be recognised as Investors in Diversity* and have in place a positive action plan, to increase the diversity of our workforce. We therefore particularly encourage applications from people from Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic diverse backgrounds and other diverse communities.
Closing date for submission of completed applications: Thursday 29th April 2021 at 12 noon.